Saturday, September 4, 2010

Women's 4 Mile Race

This morning I ran my first race in more than a year and a half- the last time was New Year's Day 2009. I was a little concerned about the course because the course description kept talking about hills, but ultimately the slight inclines couldn't hold a candle to the hills I've been running while pushing a four year old in a jogging stroller.

And can I say how much easier it is to run when not pushing said four year old in a jogger? Holy cow! What a difference! It's been at least 6 months since I ran without her, so I'd forgotten what it's like. In training, I only managed to run two or two and a half miles during my four and four and a half mile walks. I knew I could finish a four mile race, I just wasn't sure that I could run an entire four mile race.

Other than a short distance (a hundred yards, maybe) between the mile 3 marker and the water table, I ran the entire race! Yay me! And I only walked that section because I couldn't catch my breath- I still don't have my inhalers worked out properly, so they helped, but not quite enough.

Because I was able to run almost the entire race, I also finished a lot faster than I thought I would. I wasn't really sure how long it would take since I didn't have any real benchmark to go from, but I definitely wasn't expecting to finish in 42:32 (that's a 10.6 minutes/mile pace).

Making the whole experience even better, my shins didn't bother me! This is HUGE- being able to run a race without my shins killing me is something I've been looking forward to for a loooong time.

Several of my friends also ran the race, and LMS was able to stay with their husbands and kids while I ran, which really made the whole thing possible. I left my camera with LMS, and she tried to get a picture of me, but my camera is a piece of crap and way too slow. So instead of me, here's a picture of the people behind me:

and a picture of me while we walked to the starting line, waving to LMS:

Apparently one of the husbands got some good video of me waving to LMS as I ran passed them to the finish line (they were a couple hundred yards from it), but I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet.

I enjoyed the course and I'd like to do this race again next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment