Monday, May 7, 2018

Weekly Mileage #59

we got our tree work done this week, but I'll talk more about it in a few days

Friday I talked about changing my schedule so I could make exercise more of a priority (along with other things). I was only partially successful last week since Ocean shared his cold germs with me and I didn't feel great the first half of the week. Not awful (I've definitely been a lot sicker this year), but just crummy enough to not feel up to exercising. So I opted to rest and allow my body to heal with as little stress as possible.

I was feeling better by the end of the week, though, and managed to get on the treadmill Friday and Saturday. In fact, I even ran one of those miles on Friday. It's a bit of a slog getting truly active again, but I do feel like I'm making good progress.

Saturday I also hauled some logs around, which was a good upper body workout. I loaded the log chunks from the pile at the side of our parking area into the trailer and used the lawn tractor to haul them down to the chicken run, where I lined up the logs along the outside edge of the chicken run to make it a bit more critter proof.

the trailer was our tax return splurge this year

Our neighbor lost most of her chickens a couple weeks ago and most of her ducks last week to critters. Probably a fox the first time, but maybe a coywolf (a coyote/wolf hybrid) the second time. The ducks were within an electric poultry net fence, but whatever got them bit through the electric fence to get to them. And yes, the fence was turned on. In any case, the remaining chickens plus some pullets she hatched are in our chicken coop (since it was sitting empty because I never got around to ordering layers this winter) and we want to make sure they stay safe.

I buried fencing, but didn't attach it to the boards right away, and when I got around to doing so, everything had shifted enough that the fencing and the boards didn't meet in all locations. The large logs prevent a critter from squeezing into that space, and adds more distance between the fence line and any digging a critter might do.

I hauled most of the 100' tree- all but two chunks that were too big for me to lift into the trailer and the smaller pieces that didn't weigh enough to be helpful- down to the chicken run. Even with multiple trips (I didn't want to overload the tractor or the trailer), it only took about an hour or so and was a very doable solo project. That trailer has paid for itself already :)

This was also much easier since Mr M had dropped the snow plow from the lawn tractor, but hadn't yet reattached the mower deck. Driving through, over, and around underbrush and saplings was so much easier without any obstructing attachments.

Weekly Mileage
Friday-  3.00 miles on the treadmill
Saturday- 3.15 miles on the treadmill
    total- 6.15 miles

4 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
63.06 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
85.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment