Monday, February 5, 2018

Weekly Mileage #48 + First Sap of the Season


Last week I almost didn't log any miles. 

Monday I was feeling pretty awful, and ready to go to the doctor to get my lungs checked out. Tuesday morning I woke up feeling a lot better, so I didn't end up going to the doctor. As the week progressed I continued to feel better, though I have some lingering crud in my lungs that is a bit problematic and I still get tired more easily than I'd like. As my energy levels improved, I wanted to get outside for a walk, but anytime I spent time outside, the cold aggravated my lungs and I'd start coughing.

Despite that, I did manage to get out and tap our maples and walnuts finally (I should have done so several weeks ago), and logged .58 miles in the process.

Did you know there's Facebook groups for just about anything you can think of? I recently joined one for maple sugaring and all the tappers using tubing have me seriously thinking of switching. We're not planning on staying here long term though, so I don't know that we'd get a good return on our investment. The distribution of our maples and black walnuts isn't optimal for running sap lines (too far apart and on slopes in different directions), but it would cut down on some of the bucket hauling, which Sunshine would really appreciate, since it's her job to collect the sap :)

This winter is proving much more conducive to the sap flowing than last year, and we've already collected more than we did in 2015 or 2017, and I have no doubt we'll easily pass 2016's haul. We collected about ~ 5.5 gallons in 2017, ~ 10.5 gallons in 2016, and ~ 6 gallons in 2015.

I actually had planned to take the kids on a hike Thursday, but Ocean puked all over himself in the car. We were driving by a park right as he did so, so I pulled into the parking lot and let Sunshine and River play on the playground while I got Ocean cleaned up. We played at the park for a bit while the car aired out, then headed home so I could finish cleaning everything up. None of us were feeling very motivated to go for a hike after being around the smell of vomit (ick!). He's fine and didn't have any problems later, so I think he was just car sick.

Sunday morning we got some more snow, though it wasn't much. As the day went on, the snow turned to sleet, and then to rain. In some areas there was enough rain to melt all the snow, though that wasn't the case at our house. We ended up with a slushy, icy mess at the end of the day that then froze overnight and coated everything in ice. But it started melting as soon as the sun came out, so I suspect it won't hang around too much longer.


This week I'm planning on spending some time on the treadmill and bike and seeing how my legs are feeling. Hopefully it won't be too depressing an experience. I know I've lost a lot of endurance while being so sick. If my lungs cooperate and the weather isn't too cold, we might even manage a short hike finally.

Weekly Mileage
Wed: .58 miles walked
     total: .58 miles

0 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
22.61 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
25.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment