Thursday, July 20, 2017

Thoughts on Finishing My 40 by 40 Goal


I started my 40 by 40 goal at the end of June 2015, when I turned 38.
I completed my 40 by 40 goal two years later, by running a half marathon on my 40th birthday.

Being an overachiever made it too easy to run more than I'd originally planned, so I actually did 50 races in that time.

I'd originally planned on a wider variety of distances and types of races, but had to scale back when Mr M's work schedule got crazy busy. Despite that, I managed to complete a decent variety of races. I'd hoped to do a duathlon or triathlon, a relay (like Ragnar), an international race, a road marathon, and maybe a bike race, but I think those are the only ones I really missed out on.

Overall, I enjoyed completing this goal. It was definitely one of my more ambitious goals, and it took a lot of time, effort, and money, but I do feel that it was worth it. Not that it was all sunshine and roses, because it wasn't. It was exhausting and stressful and a lot of work.

I did get a bit burned out at one point, which is why I hit #40 early: I kind of wanted to be done. But then there were more races I still wanted to run, so I kept going. And then I had to run enough races to get to an even number, because ocd.

I've mentioned it before, but one issue I did run into was that I felt the races interfered with my training so that my times didn't improve for most of the time I was working on my goal. To be fair, I was pregnant or nursing for the first 19 months, and that definitely had an impact on my speed. Ocean stopped nursing back in January, my race schedule has tapered off, and my times have started to improve. Coincidence? I think not.

Purposely signing up for races in a variety of locations and distances forced me out of my comfort zone on many occasions, which is good for me. I don't anticipate making and completing a similar goal, which means I won't be running lots and lots of races anytime soon. Expanding my horizons has helped me find new favorite races, along with races I don't need to run again.

50 races: distances
2 x 1 mile
2 x 2 miles
1 x 4k
34 x 5k
1 x 3.5 miles
2 x 4 miles
1 x 4.8 miles
1 x 10k
2 x 13.1 miles
1 x 13.6 miles
1 x 26.2 miles
1 x 10k kayak
1 x race volunteer

50 races: circumstances, surfaces, etc
pregnant, wearing a kilt, pushing the jogger with one boy, pushing the jogger with both boys, with all three kiddos, wearing a costume, in 20* temps

mixed surface, road, trail, in a corn maze, virtual, cross country, mud run, obstacle run, glow run, kayak race, in a vineyard, predict your time, color run, same race/new course, uphill, in an orchard, in a quarry, out of state

1st in age group, walked an entire race, volunteered at a water stop in a race, 2 races in 12 hours (different days), evening race, 2 races in the same day, 2nd in age group, spent the night in a hotel before a race, ran an entire race (several times), registered with a paper form I mailed in, ran a race for the 7th time in a row, ran a 5k PR, ran a race for the 6th time in a row/1st time by myself/PR for the course, camped before a race

Sunshine's first solo race, River's first race that he ran (not just rode in the jogger)

50 races = 202.4 miles run and walked + 6.2 miles kayaked



Date
Event
Distance
Event Type
1.
July 2015
4th of July 5k
5k
Pregnant
2.
August
4 Mile Fun Run
4 miles
Road Race
3.
September
All Terrain
5k
Mixed surface
4.
October
Hill Valley Half
13.1 miles
Virtual half marathon
5.
October
Corn Maze 5k
5k
Corn Maze, 1st in age group
6.
October
Kilted Trail 5k
5k
Kilted race
7.
November
Trail Half
13.6 miles
Trail Half, last finisher
8.
November
Turkey Trot
5k
Road Race
9.
December
Veteran’s 5k
5k
Mixed surface
10.
December
Army Virtual Marathon
26.23 miles
Virtual marathon
11.
January 2016
New Year’s Day 5k
5k
Road race
12.
February
Frostbite 5k
5k
Cross country race
13.
February
Mud Run
4.8 miles
Mud run
14.
March
4k Walk
4k
Walk
15.
March
March 5k
5k
Road race
16.
March
Pi Day Virtual 5k
5k
Virtual 5k Walk
17.
March
10 mile race
Not applicable
Water stop volunteer
18.
March
Obstacle Race
5k
Obstacle run
19.
April
Glow Run
5k
Glow Run, 1st of 2 races in 12 hours
20.
April
April 5k
5k
Pushing jogger, 2nd of 2 races in 12 hours
21.
April
Evening Run
5k
Evening run
22.
May
10k Kayak Race
10k
Kayak race
23.
May
May 5k
5k
1st of 2 races in same day
24.
May
Evening CC Race
5k
Evening cross country, 2nd of 2 races in same day
25.
June
June 5k
5k
Pushing jogger, 1st of 2 races in same day
26.
June
1 Mile Glow Run
1 mile
Pushing jogger with both boys, 2nd of 2 races in same day, glow run
27.
June
Vineyard 5k
5k
Vineyard run
28.
July
July 5k
5k
Road race
29.
August
Predict Your Time 5k
5k
Predict your time
30.
August
August 5k
5k
Road race
31.
August
NPS 100th Virtual 10k
10k
Virtual 10k run
32.
August
4 Mile Run
4 miles
Road race
33.
September
Labor Day 5k
5k
With all 3 kiddos
34.
September
1 Mile Color Run
1 mile
Color run, Sunshine’s first solo race, River’s first race
35.
September
3.5 Mile Trail Run
3.5 miles
Trail run
36.
October
Run Long & Prosper Virtual 5k
5k
Virtual 5k run
37.
October
Flat Trail 5k
5k
Travel to race, trail run, ran w/o stopping, 2nd in age group
38.
October
Halloween Trail 5k
5k
Trail run, in costume, in a vineyard
39.
November
Two Mile Road Race
2 miles
2 miles, road race
40.
November
Two Mile Cross Country Race
2 miles
2 miles, cross country race, paper entry form
41.
November
Turkey Trot
5k
All 3 kiddos, 7th year in a row running this race
42.
December
December 5k
5k
5k road race, new course, temps in the 20s
43.
December
New Year’s Eve 5k
5k
5k glow run
44.
March 2017
March 5k
5k
Road race, PR
45.
April
April 5k
5k
Uphill
46.
May
Orchard run
5k
In an orchard
47.
May
Quarry
5k
In a quarry
48.
June
June 5k
5k
6th year in a row running this race, 1st time by myself
49.
June
Utah 5k
5k
Out of state 5k
50.
June
Glacier Half marathon
13.1 miles
Road half

No comments:

Post a Comment