Friday, August 14, 2009

Random stuff

Back in March I went to a children's clothing and toy consgnment sale (it's a big one held about once a quarter or so), and bought a bag of 7 stuffed baby toys for about $7. I bought them because I've read that 'loveys' can go for high prices on ebay. If your child loses their precious bear/bunny/lamb/etc, you want to replace it as quickly as possible.

I've done this for LMS with her lambie: she started biting lambie's nose, so I bought a second one so one could be washed while she snuggled with the other. Eventually she stopped biting lambie's nose, so I bought a third one to replace the first two that had had their faces half chewed off. (the 3rd one is on the left, the two chewed-on ones are in the middle and on the right)

Now she's started rubbing lambie's tail constantly, and it's looking pretty icky, so I've bought a fourth lambie that will take over when LMS stops with the tail-rubbing. I think I've payed between $6 and $13 for each of them, but they're getting more rare. The only one I could find today was listed for $25. Ouch!

In any case, selling lovey's is a thriving business on ebay, with the more rare, discontinued ones commanding fairly high prices. I checked all the toys in the bag to determine their going rates on ebay. Six weren't in demand, but I hit the jackpot with the seventh. This particular bunny was listed on ebay for anything from $60 to $150. I checked recently closed auctions, and one had sold for about $45 a week earlier. I didn't feel good about listing it for $150- that's just mean when a parent is trying to replace a lost lovey, but I still wanted to get a good price for it. So I listed it for $45.99. I made the mistake of listing it as an auction, rather than a Buy it Now, and it didn't sell. I re-listed it, but since we were on vacation by that time, I couldn't list it as a BIN (I hadn't brought it with me, so couldn't get it mailed right away). It didn't sell again, but I re-listed it again once we got home, this time as a BIN, and it sold within a few days. I have a feeling that if I had listed it at a higher price it wouldn't have sold nearly as quickly. And I really can't complain when I got $46 for an item I paid $1 for. Not a bad profit...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A few months ago, my SIL mentioned that my brother had bought her 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog' for her birthday. So I looked it up and thought it was pretty funny. When we went to visit them at the beginning of the month, they pulled out the DVD so everyone else could watch it (no one else had seen it).

I was doing some blog-hopping yesterday, and found someone who had made a Dr. Horrible's cake. Pretty clever!

No comments:

Post a Comment