Thursday, November 6, 2008

I finished the travelmate

This morning I biked for an hour while Little Miss Sunshine watched 'Cinderella'. She sure loves that movie.

While LMS napped, I got my eyes checked. It's been about a year and a half since my last eye exam, so I figured I should it was time for another one. My eyes haven't changed, but I didn't think they had. I now have a valid prescription so I can get some prescription sunglasses, which I've been wanting to get for awhile now. I just have to find some frames I like....

While I was out and about for my exam, I stopped by the hardware store and got the pieces I needed to finish my travelmate, which I finished once I got home.

So I found the Travelmate a while ago, but it's $89 (without shipping), and even on ebay it's $60+. I didn't want to spend that much money, and despite an email to find out if LMS's car seat would work with it, they still haven't posted any information regarding it. Why spend all that money, only to find out that it's not compatible with our car seat? After a lot of thought, I decided I could make one that would work just as well, and cost a lot less.

















The first photo is the wood frame. There's corner supports on the inside, and screws holding the boards together on the outside. The holes are for the straps to hold the car seat onto it. The second photo is the finished product: cover (It wasn't very pretty and I didn't feel like sanding and painting it. Much quicker to sew a cover for it), straps, axle and wheels all attached.

















The next photo is with the car seat strapped to it. The last photo is a shot of the underside. I used hooks and eyes to hold the axle to the frame (I had to buy bigger ones today). The wheels I found on ebay (Can I tell you how much I love ebay? You can find anything you could possibly think of!), then attached some end caps so they won't come off, and voila! My very own travelmate!















I had fun with this project. I thought about it for quite awhile before actually starting on it (it wasn't an immediate need, so I had time to contemplate the issue). The hardest part was figuring out how to get the axle to stay on the frame. In my mind's eye, I had something similar in mind, but it came down to what I could find in the hardware store. When I was in Home Depot, I found the hooks and eyes and realized they would work well. It was a good mental exercise for me to figure out how to make this all work.

No comments:

Post a Comment