Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ezekiel bread and agave nectar

Today I rode my bike for an hour, which felt good. I worked on my quilts some more, and the three smallest just need their edges bound now. The largest is the first one I started, and will take a bit longer to finish. The three smaller ones I tied, but the larger one I need to sew. I put a lot more work into that one, so I'll need to take my time sewing the top and bottom together so it looks nice.

Other than that, it was a pretty uneventful day. I did pretty good on my food again. Instead of sourdough bread (which I really like) for my sandwich at lunch I used Ezekiel bread, which actually isn't too bad (I did toast it, so I don't know how much that changes the taste). Even Little Miss Sunshine ate it, which I wasn't certain she would. Ezekiel bread is a sprouted grain bread that has a lower glycemic index count than other breads, including 'whole grain' varieties. I also tried sweetening plain yogurt with a bit of agave nectar, also with good results. Agave nectar also has a lower glycemic index count, and doesn't have a nasty aftertaste like a lot of sweeteners. I added some raspberries and sliced almonds, and it was quite yummy. I've tried eating plain yogurt sweetened with berries before, but even then it's on the bitter side. Sweetened yogurts tend to be too sweet for me, so it was nice to have yogurt that tasted good and wasn't too sweet.

I did have to buy the bread and the agave nectar at the health food store, but the bread is kept in the freezer and will last for awhile (and I can buy several loaves at a time to reduce extra trips to the store) and the agave nectar will last quite awhile before I need more. Everything else I'm eating came from the regular grocery store. When I was on Atkins, there was all sorts of things I was having to go to the health food store to try (half the time unsuccessfully) to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment